A missed period is the most common sign of pregnancy but sometimes a period may not happen for other reasons, such as illness, shock or even jet lag. However, if you are experiencing other symptoms (see below), you should consider having a pregnancy test. Although not everybody feels the full range of symptoms as soon as they become pregnant , you may experience some of the following, which are most characteristic signs of pregnancy:
- You have missed one or more periods.
- You need to urinate frequently.
- You may find that certain tastes and smells become unpleasant suddenly; or you may crave odd foods. Often there may be a strange metallic taste in the mouth.
- You feel nauseous and may vomit in the mornings (or at other times of the day).
- Your breasts are tingling, tender or more swollen than usual.
- You feel particularly tired.
- You feel emotional or tearful.
- You suddenly become constipated.